7.01.2014

Advice to a Class from Real World Freelance- Part 2

Recently I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Laura C. who is a first year Media and Animation student at The Art Institute of Orange County. For her report, she was required to interview someone in the Animation Industry to get an idea for the field and the types of jobs that are available.

In the next series of posts, I will share with you the questions she asked me and my responses based on my journey and perspective as a Freelance Artist. Please feel free to comment below with any questions you may have for me, and I would be happy to answer them for you. 

Interview with Michael Voogd - Freelance Artist
Animator – Illustrator – Caricature – Comic Strips – Instructor

What sparked your interest in animation? What main type of art/animation do you do?

It was the summer of 1988, when my family embarked on a road trip around the United States. At 13 years old I already had a fondness of hand-drawn animation, but it was when we visited the newly constructed Disney MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida that I knew what I wanted to do.

The attraction was called ‘The Magic of Disney Animation’. At the time you were able to watch real Disney Animators at work from behind a glass curtain after viewing a short movie on the process of creating an animated movie. Once I stepped in, it was a slice of heaven for this young artist with a love for cartoons.

I enjoy creating 2-D hand-drawn animation, but also enjoy the visual beauty of what is now being created with CG animation. What these talented animators are able to create with computers is truly amazing. Yet, you must always remember that the software is just a tool. The computer DOES NOT animate a scene on it’s own, just like a pencil doesn’t draw a picture on it’s own. It’s the vision of the artist that uses these tools to create the illusion of life that viewers see on screen.

Read: Advice to a Class from Real World Freelance- Part 1

No comments: